Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Traveling with an Infant: Lessons Learned

LABOR DAY WEEKEND WITH BABY ELLA:

Over Labor Day Weekend, my SO and I along with our doting daughter flew East for a wedding. We were very nervous about packing appropriate items and I soon discovered that we actually over packed what was needed. So I'm going to review what I brought, what I didn't expect, and things I wish I did differently.

Our daughter was four months and it went FAR better than I expected but there were still some hiccups. 


I packed a breastpump even though my daughter is still mostly fed via breast. 

I wish we left the pump at home because we ended up having such a busy weekend that I didn't have the time to pump milk unless I wanted to miss out on sleep. So if you have a jam packed weekend (which we did from 8 AM to 9PM), I would suggest leaving the pump at home. It's unnecessary weight in your bag and you could benefit from a lighter bag when traveling with an infant.

I brought a stroller, but no stroller bag. BUT I DID have a carseat bag for our carseat and it was ABSOLUTELY worth it!

I was so focused the week before on making sure I procured a carseat bag that I neglected to get one for the stroller. The end result? Luggage LOST one of the stroller straps! Now I have a stroller I can't use until I order a new strap! After a long weekend of flying, train rides, and cab rides, the LAST thing we wanted to do was argue with an airline worker over where our Graco Fast Action Jogger shoulder strap was and why it detached from our stroller. It's clear that airport workers don't treat luggage very well, and will toss your luggage carelessly, make sure all of your infant gear is secured and accounted for. We almost lost our carseat because another passenger had the same carseat bag so always label.

You usually don't need documentation for a baby, just make sure you are aware of that!

We were so afraid that we couldn't travel with our baby that a worker lacking training almost turned us away from checking our bags! Once I realized there was an option for an undocumented minor, things went more smoothly. You only need documentation if you're traveling out of county, in which you generally need a passport!

 

Pack clothes relative to the weather but bring others per chance the room is too cold/warm for baby. 

I probably packed way too much when it came to warm weather clothing because we spent a lot of our time indoors where it was very cool. However, the lighter clothing was great for the sweaty 5-15 block walks we had during our time in NYC.

If someone else planned your weekend be prepared to go faster and be more efficient! 

Most people that plan weekends/vacations for others with infants don't realize how much longer it takes to do activities. Make sure to stay on top of all of your feedings and don't forget to stay hydrated! I wish I brought a water bottle with me so I would have stayed hydrated better, I definitely felt like my milk supply paid for it after two days of traveling. Also fight for your baby's needs, most post-baby parents/relatives often forget how time consuming and draining it can be, not just on you but on your baby! Don't be afraid to turn in early if you have to be up at six AM to shower, breastfeed, eat, and dress your infant.

Own a well made baby carrier!

I have several cheaper baby carriers and brought my most comfortable one but soon discovered that it was not made for long commutes or walks! After seven blocks of walking, my back was throbbing and in my mind I was longing for the Boba Air or even an Ergo Baby carrier! If you plan on traveling more often invest in a more expensive carrier, it's worth it.

If you are going to the city, bring the stroller but be prepared to carry/wear baby!

I thought bringing the stroller was a great move for some fifth avenue shopping but soon I realized the stroller was my daughter's worst nightmare! NYC was so packed that the walk was over-stimulating for a suburban baby! She reacted like she was in a haunted house and was making horrified faces at all of the people walking past her. I ended up wearing her, it made her feel more secure and put her in a much more tolerable mood with all of the hustle & bustle of the city.


Most Importantly: BE PATIENT WITH YOURSELF AND YOUR BABY

This is a new experience for your baby and even a new experience for yourself. It's okay if mistakes are made, clothes get dirty, or baby blows out his/her diaper in the middle of a classy restaurant, babies are babies every where, that does not change. The more patient you are with the experience, the more you can enjoy it and let things go more fluidly.

If I could do it again I would relax more, look around more, take more pictures, drink more water, and enjoy the environment more! It's a trip! You're supposed to enjoy yourself. Take care of baby, but take care of yourself too!

No comments:

Post a Comment